1 relating to or applicable to or concerned with the administration of a city or town or district rather than a larger area; "local taxes"; "local authorities" [ant: national]
2 of or belonging to or characteristic of a particular locality or neighborhood; "local customs"; "local schools"; "the local citizens"; "a local point of view"; "local outbreaks of flu"; "a local bus line"
3 affecting only a restricted part or area of the body; "local anesthesia" [ant: general]
1 public transport consisting of a bus or train that stops at all stations or stops; "the local seemed to take forever to get to New York" [ant: express]
2 anesthetic that numbs a local area of the body [syn: local anesthetic, local anaesthetic, topical anesthetic, topical anaesthetic]
Etymology(adjective) From local.
of a nearby location
- Finnish: paikallinen
- Russian: местный
- A person who lives nearby.
- It's easy to tell the locals from the tourists.
- A branch of a an nationwide organization such as a trade union.
- I'm in the TWU, too. Local 6.
- A train that stops at all, or almost all, stations between its
origin and destination, including very small ones.
- The expresses skipped my station, so I had to take a local.
- One's nearest or regularly frequented public house or bar.
- In the context of "rail transport": stopper
a person who lives nearby
a branch of an organization
- Finnish: paikallisyhdistys, paikallisosasto
a train that stops at all stations
- Finnish: paikallisjuna
(UK) the nearest bar
- Finnish: paikallinen
- ttbc Dutch: lokaal, plaatselijk
- ttbc French: local
- ttbc German: lokal
- ttbc Portuguese: local
- ttbc Swedish: lokal, ortlig
- ttbc Spanish: local
- The premises.
Local generally means that which relates to a specific area or place, and is not vast or widespread.
Local may also refer to:
- Localism, is the emphasis on local, small-scale systems
- Principle of locality, describes theories which are Lorentz invariant
- Local Interstellar Cloud, the interstellar cloud that contains the Solar System
- Local Bubble, the larger bubble of gas that contains the Local Interstellar Cloud
- The Orion Arm, the arm of the Milky Way that contains the Solar System also known as the local arm
- Local Group, the group of galaxies that contains the Milky Way
- Local Supercluster, the supercluster, also known as the Virgo Supercluster, that contains the Milky Way and the Local Group
- A Local union, is a branch of a larger trade union
- A local stamp is a stamp created by a local mail carrying body
local in German: Lokal
local in Spanish: Local
local in French: Local
local in Japanese: ローカル
local in Slovak: Lokál
Amtrak, Pullman, Pullman car, aboriginal, aborigine, adjoining, affiliate, alehouse, arm, autochthon, baggage car, baggage train, bar, barrel house, barroom, beer garden, beer parlor, bistro, blind tiger, boxcar, branch, branch office, cabaret, cable railroad, caboose, cafe, car, carriage, chair car, chapter, choo-choo, city, close by, coach, coal car, cocktail lounge, cog railroad, cog railway, collective bargaining, company union, confined, county, covered waggon, craft union, day coach, dialect, dialectal, diner, dinghy, dining car, district, dive, division, dramshop, drawing room, drinking saloon, earliest inhabitant, el, electric, electric train, elevated, express, express train, first comer, flat, flatcar, flier, freight, freight train, freighter, funicular, geographically limited, gin mill, gondola, goods train, groggery, grogshop, honky-tonk, horizontal union, idiomatic, indigene, industrial union, insular, interurban, labor union, lightning express, limited, local union, local yokel, localized, lodge, luggage van, mail car, mail van, metro, milk train, monorail, municipal, native, nearby, nightclub, of a place, offshoot, organ, organized labor, palace car, parliamentary, parliamentary train, parlor car, parochial, particular, passenger car, passenger train, peculiar, post, pothouse, primitive, primitive settler, provincial, pub, public, public house, rack-and-pinion railroad, railroad train, railway car, rathskeller, rattler, reefer, refrigerator car, regional, resident, restricted, rolling stock, roomette, rumshop, saloon, saloon bar, sectarian, shire, shuttle, shuttle train, sleeper, small-town, smoker, smoking car, speakeasy, special, specific, state, stockcar, streamliner, subway, tank, taproom, tavern, tender, topical, town, townsman, townswoman, trade guild, trade union, train, truck, tube, underground, union local, van, vernacular, vertical union, village, waggon, way train, wine shop, wing